Thursday, March 23, 2006

Cat Math



Piper can be a very active cat - when she’s not sleeping, that is. She likes to explore every conceivable nook and cranny. She'll hide in the bathtup or behind the bedroom door and then surprise me with a big leap when she thinks I don't see her. She also likes to hang out in paper grocery bags and sneak sips of other peoples’ drinks when they’re not looking. She’s a huge fan of twist ties, chasing them mercilessly across the hardwood floors, and push-pins, which she can remove from any bulletin board no matter how inconveniently located. Most of all, she’s enthralled by gravity. Her favorite game is to climb a high shelf and then one by one knock all of its items onto the ground.

However most of her time, an exorbitant amount of time, is spent sleeping on her little red beanbag cube. When I get home at night I find her in the exact same place and position she was in when I left her eight hours earlier. I don’t think she moves the entire time I’m gone, which leads me to the topic for today: cat hair.

See her beautiful fur coat? It sheds! Copiously. Here’s what that fashionable red cube looks like when Piper does finally get up for the day.



I’ve done a little measuring and calculating, and here’s what I’ve discovered:

The amount of hair that Piper leaves behind in one day could be made into a ribbon 1 mm wide that would reach from my shoulder to my finger tip. In a year that ribbon would be longer than 3 and half football fields. And in the course of her lifetime, the amount of fur Piper sheds would form a ribbon over a mile long.

I don’t even want to know how many hours of cleaning that translates to.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Jake, my cat is "about" to start his shredding for the summer. I'll just follow him round with the hoover for 2 months :-)