Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Spring Cleaning of the Mind

Don’t worry! Not another word, or even letter, about the insidious horror that is housework will these fingers type!

The taxes have all been paid, the IRAs contributed to, and the sun did come up today after all. Now that that weight and worry has left my mind it’s time to clear out the rest of the cobwebs and start exercising that lazy financial muscle.

Yesterday I gathered up all of my savings – a 401k here, a 403b there, IRAs all over the place, a money market, a savings account and even a $100 savings bond I was given in grade school. My financial advisor calls me a closet saver. I started each of these accounts with some fantastic savings intentions only to have my efforts dwindle over time. On my recent quest to corral these misplaced nuggets I discovered that some accounts had been managed aggressively, some very conservatively, and others not at all. Some laid languishing like an old car up on blocks in an overgrown southern yard. (Catch the Tom Robbins influence?) Now the light is shining on these formerly hidden treasures, and they’re all being coaxed into respectable growth. Thank goodness.

How else are John and I going to be able to afford that super deluxe RV we plan to drive across the country during our retirement?

Think I'm kidding? I guess you’ll just have to keep reading my blog to find out. Hey, what do you think we’ll have instead of blogs by the time we retire?

No comments: