Tuesday, February 28, 2006

It’s my lucky day!

I knew today was a lucky day. I just knew it! Maybe it was because it rained last night or because the blue birds came to my feeder or because my first two California poppies bloomed this morning. Whatever the reason, I began preparing for my special day. Today I decided to accessorize my typical morning attire – pink pajamas - with a turquoise necklace. And instead of cereal, I fixed myself French toast with maple syrup. And then I waited…

At 7:44 it happened. My bug doctor appeared.

Kelly and I were best friends in elementary school. In addition to being fashion designers (for our dolls), magazine publishers (for the 4th grade), underwater ballerinas and Mexican hat dancers, we were bug doctors! This meant rescuing, diagnosing and treating our many bug patients. Often treatment involved removing a leg or two and occasionally other forms of surgery. We spent weekends and vacations together involved in all sorts of adventure until eventually boys became more interesting to us than bugs.

By high school we ran in different circles. She was a brilliant student and an excellent writer. I could never fathom what those English poets were trying to tell me, but I was enthralled by math and astronomy and physics.

After high school I heard that Kelly went to UT and was in a sorority there; the same one her mother had been in, in fact. I went off to a different school and continued exploring my wild side.

And just like that 10 years went by.

So this morning I was sitting on the couch, sipping coffee and replying to students’ emails, when opened one from a Kelly A.

I woke up in the middle of the night the other night thinking about you for some
reason—

Ah, another wacko email.

And just as I was about to delete it – it came to me. This was my 4th grade best friend.

I knew it was my lucky day!

No comments: